I LOVE a cheese straw don’t you?
The best thing about this recipe is that it is super quick so you can be snacking on them in no time. They are great to whip up in an afternoon ready for the kids to come back from school.
Optional: I occasionally spread mustard over the top of the dough before I cut and twist the straws, this gives an extra taste sensation, especially if it is wholegrain.
- 85g/3oz Butter or Spread ( I usually use Stork if I have it)
- 175g/6oz Plain Flour
- 1 pinch of Cayenne pepper and dry mustard
- 115g/4oz Mature Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1-2 tbsp water
- Optional – wholegrain mustard for extra taste
- Sieve the flour, butter, cayenne and dry mustard together into a mixing bowl. Add the cheese, egg yok and water and mix together into a firm dough.
- Roll out onto a floured board (or my preferred method of between two sheets of cling film) until it is about 1cm thick.
- Cut into strips.
- Re-roll the trimmings and repeat cutting.
- Twist and place onto a lightly greased or lined baking sheet.
- Bake on the second and third shelves in a preheated oven at 200°C / 190°C Fan / Gas Mark 6 for 12 – 15 minutes.